Nowadays, you can find just about any kind of specialized copper cookware set for your kitchen: almost every kind of dish and recipe seems to require a special kind of pot or pan. But back in the day, there was one kind of material that worked like magic for every kind of dish: cookware made out of cast iron. Nowadays, you can easily find cast iron as the main material used in appliances such as woks, non-stick pans, toasters, panini makers and waffle makers – but have you ever wondered of the advantages this specific type of material brings about? If not, you might want to continue reading on!
- They are non-stick – cast iron cookware Australia has the extremely important advantage of being non-stick. Of course, you need to make sure that the pan is well-seasoned, that is, the application of oil or butter (or any similar kind of animal fat or cooking oil) followed by heating (otherwise, you will end up rusting the pan!). The good point about this is that – unlike other kinds of ‘special’ non-stick pans – these cast iron pans do not have any harmful chemicals coating the bottom of the pan.
- They heat up really well – the other oft-quoted advantage of cast iron (and which warrants the steady purchase of cast iron cookware online) is the impressive heat retention ability. In fact, if you were to compare a cast iron pot with another type of pot, you will find that the latter will go cold much more quickly. This means that a cast iron pot or pan is an ideal container in which to keep food warm throughout your dinner course.
- They help with iron deficiency – this one point might also come up as a disadvantage of cast iron, but know that to people with iron deficiencies, cast iron is the go-to cookware. According to most studies conducted with cast iron products, it was found out that the iron levels in the food cooked with this cookware increased significantly. This means that to any person suffering from anaemia and similar iron deficiencies, the use of cast iron products is extremely beneficial.
- They are cheap – as you would know, cast iron was one of the iron varieties that was produced early on by humans. What this basically means is that cast iron can be produced with a relatively lower technology level than other kinds of cookware – and this makes them comparatively cheaper.
- They last longer – and finally, cast iron is made so as to be a long-lasting material. In fact, it is the material used in such products as car engines, which easily last for decades. Not to add, prolonged use of a cast iron pan improves its seasoning, which means its non-stick quality improves over the years.